Here is a list of teachers with regularly held public taijiquan and qigong classes in the Richmond area. The Richmond Taiji Association does not certify or endorse any individual teachers. Some of the teachers listed are members of the Association and some are not. Students should assess the quality of instruction and its applicability to their needs themselves. This is most easily achieved by trying some classes. If you are new to taijiquan and unsure how to assess an instructor consider reading Lee Scheele’s article On Selecting a Teacher. If you are a teacher and would like to have your classes listed on this page please use the contact form at the bottom.
Phoebe Antrim teaches Guo Lin Qigong:
- Tuesdays 9:30 – 10:30 am at the roundhouse in Byrd Park. This free practice group meets year-round, indoors when necessary. The several forms are taught sequentially throughout the year. They combine standing and walking. For prevention and recovery from chronic disease, including cancer. Newcomers welcome any time.
- For more information or directions, call Phoebe Antrim at (804) 358-1772.
Jenny Barone teaches Sun style and Yang style taijiquan:
- Mondays 11 am – 1 pm at First Baptist Church. First hour is beginner and the second hour is intermediate. This class is open to students of any ability level, and handicap facilities are readily available. Sun 31, the restorative form, and Yang 24 are currently taught. Class is held in the Adams Room on the first floor of the church at the Mulberry Street entrance and parking is plentiful. The fee is $10 per class, but the first class is always free as a trial class.
- Wednesdays 6 – 7 pm at Eastern Henrico Recreation Center. This class alternates between the Sun 31 form and the Yang 24 form depending on the time of year. Class runs in 4 week sessions for $20 per session.
- For more information please use the contact form on Jenny’s RVA Taiji page.
- Teaches private lessons and seminars.
- For more information email email@example.com.
- Tuesdays 6 – 7:30 pm at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in room 18. Chi Kung. This class is taught in semesters and there is a suggested donation of $10 per class. Anyone can join but you must join at the beginning of the semester.
- For more information email AlternativeAging@gmail.com.
- Tuesdays 9:30 – 10:30 am at the Village Dance Studio. Five Elements form and a bit more. $60 for four classes or $16 to drop in. Sessions start 13 September 2016. For registration at Village Dance Studio please call, 804-288-7735.
- Thursdays 6 – 7 pm at 4025 Yoga. Five Elements form and a bit more. $66 per six week session or $15 to drop in. Call Helen Campbell to register : (804) 787-4242.
- Saturdays 10 am – 2:30 pm at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. Tai Chi 5 Elements form (seated and standing forms). This class will be taught approximately once per month. Please check the Gardens calendar for more details. Class is $88 ($75 for members of the Gardens) and includes lunch.
- Teaches private sessions and seminars.
- For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursdays 9 – 10 am at Lakeside United Methodist Church. Yang style 24 form and Sun style. Fee is flexible: what you think it’s worth & what you can afford.
- For more information email email@example.com.
Sean Honea teaches medical qigong (including Yijin Jing, Baduanjin, and others):
- Private lessons at Southside Community Accupuncture. By appointment Wednesday through Saturday. Sliding scale $30 – $60 per class. Limit 3 people per class. Can accommodate larger classes on a case by case basis.
- For more information use their contact form.
David Jones teaches Sun style taijiquan:
- Wednesdays 1 – 2 pm at Church of Our Saviour. Covers Sun 31, the restorative form, and Sun 73. $10 per class. The first class is a trial class for everyone, and is free.
- Thursdays 6 – 7 pm at Deep Run Recreation Center. Covers Sun 31, the restorative form, and Sun 73. Class runs in 4 week sessions for $20 per session.
- For more information contact Jenny Barone.
Koryo Traditional Martial Arts Center: Instructor Phuong Hoang teaches Yang Style Taijiquan:
- Tuesdays 7:30 – 8:30 pm. Yang style hand forms, weapon forms, and push hands. $60 per month.
- Fridays 1:15 – 2:15 pm. Yang style hand forms, weapon forms, and push hands. $60 per month.
- For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Little Creek Kung Fu: Instructors Bill and Alex Bechtold teach Wudang kungfu, taiji, and qigong. Tuition to the school is $120 per month and grants access to all of the classes provided:
- Monday, Thursday, Saturday 9:30 – 10:30 am. Tai Chi and Qigong. Daoist DaoYin, BaDuan Jing, Five Animal QiGong.
- Monday 5 – 6:30 pm, Tuesday 4:30 – 6 pm, Thursday 5:30 – 7 pm. Traditional Kungfu. Incorporates the entire Wudang system including all material, philosophy, and physical exercises.
- Tuesday 6 – 7 pm, Thursday 7 – 8 pm. Tai Chi and Meditation. Taiji forms and drills with meditative elements added.
- Wednesday 5:30 – 6:30 pm. Kungfu Fitness. High intensity interval training.
- Wednesday 6:30 -7:30 pm. Traditional and Combat Tai Chi. Taiji as a martial art, how it relates to push hands, combat, and how the forms movements can be applied to real world interactions.
- Friday 6 – 7 pm. Tai Chi Sword. Daoist swordsmanship.
Wilson Pitts teaches baguazhang , xingyiquan, and Yang style taijiquan among other things:
- Saturdays 9 – 10 am at Maymont Park’s carriage house lawn. Yang style taijiquan. Class takes place Spring, Summer, and Fall. For more information see Wilson’s Youtube channel One Room Schoolhouse.
- Other private and semi-private lessons available. See Wilson’s website for more details.
- For more information you can also email email@example.com.
- Mondays 6:30 – 7:30 pm at the Traditional Asian Health Center. Wu style taijiquan.
- Wednesdays 6:30 – 7:30 pm at the Traditional Asian Health Center. Three Dantians, Nine Directions qigong and Backstep qigong.
- Fridays 11 am – 12 pm at the Traditional Asian Health Center. Wu style taijiquan.
- Fridays 6:30 – 7:30 pm at the Traditional Asian Health Center. Wu style taijiquan.
- Saturdays 9 – 10 am at the Traditional Asian Health Center. Wu style taijiquan.
- For more information please use the contact form on Rob’s RVA taiji page.
Mike Shea teaches Yang style taijiquan:
- Saturdays 10 – 11 am at the Traditional Asian Health Center. Yang style long form.
- For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fridays 12:30 – 1:30 pm at University of Richmond’s Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness in room 107. Introduction to Wu style taijiquan. This class is free for members of the center or $160 per semester (~4 months) for non-members.
- For more information please use the contact form on Jon’s RVA Taiji page.
- Tuesdays 6:45 – 7:45 pm at Richmond Traditional Martial Arts. Wu style taiji weapons, mainly sword and saber.
- Thursdays 6:45 – 7:45 pm at Richmond Traditional Martial Arts. Wu style taijiquan.
- Fridays 6:30 – 7:30 pm at Richmond Traditional Martial Arts. Wu style taiji group sword form.
- For more information please use the contact form on Pat’s RVA Taiji page.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:30 am – 12 pm. Bagua Zhang qigong fundamentals.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 6 – 7 pm. Bagua Zhang qigong beginner class.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 7 – 8 pm. Bagua Zhang qigong advanced class.
- For more information email email@example.com.
- Tuesdays 6 – 7 pm at Battery Park Christian Church. Cheng Man-Ching’s 37-posture form (Yang style). Class is taught in 10 week semesters and new students must enroll at the beginning of the semester. $165 per semester. Fall, Winter, and Spring semesters as well as a one month special session in the Summer.
- For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cheri Wolff teaches Sun style taijiquan:
- Mondays 6:30 – 7:30 pm at First Unitarian Universalist Church. Covers Sun style taijiquan. Suggested donation of $7 – $10 per class.
- For more information please use the contact form on Cheri’s RVA Taiji page.